Homelessness, Iraq, National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, Tammy Duckworth, United States, United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, United States Department of Veterans Affairs, Veteran
In our country there are homeless veterans that are women. Usually when one thinks of our homeless veterans we think of the men who wear camouflage on the streets and have the far off distant look in well-worn eyes. As our recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq we can now add thousands of female veterans to
the homeless rolls in our country! I am bringing this to my reader’s attention because not that I think it is ok that men who have proudly served this nation have no place to call home but there are women who also served and they need our nations help too! “The number of female veterans has doubled in the last decade,” says Tammy Duckworth, assistant secretary for public and intergovernmental affairs in the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. In fact, she says women in the military are two times more likely to become homeless than male veterans.
The numbers are estimated to be over 6,500 of women who served their country living in the streets or in their cars. What can you do to help the homeless veterans check out the resources below or contact your local V.F.W
Thankyou and God bless you for helping! God bless you Ms.Victorio Olmo -featured in the above blog picture!
How you can help! A jour time or ob a decent place to live are the goals of most people. If you can help a veteran to realize these goals by your time or money or both olease contact your local veterans affairs office. or see the following resources.
- More veterans headed for the street if voucher program cut (sfgate.com)
- Barbara Boxer rips proposed cuts to homeless vets housing (sfgate.com)
- Elderly Veterans Almost Three Times More Likely To Be Homeless Than Non-Vets (homeinstead590.wordpress.com)
- Veterans Bill Reviewed by President Obama (vabenefitblog.com)
- VA Bill Approved (vabenefitblog.com)
- ‘Thousands of US Afghan & Iraq War veterans homeless’ (jafrianews.com)
- Veterans’ Homelessness Prevention and Early Warning Act of 2010 (vabenefitblog.com)
- Housing those who protect OUR homes… (giveacareindy.org)
- Veterans 50 Percent More Likely To Be Homeless, Study Shows (thegivingspiritblog.wordpress.com)
- Photograph of the Week – Jessie is a Homeless Veteran (invisibleones.wordpress.com)
- Finding Homes For America’s Homeless Women Veterans And Their Children (huffingtonpost.com)
- US Department of Labor announces ‘Stand Down’ grants to help 10,000 homeless veterans (waronterrornews.typepad.com)