Afghanistan, Anne Smedinghoff, Brian Minter, Chicago, First Book Marketplace, Foreign Service Officer, http://www.literacyproject.org/, John Kerry, Suicide attack, Twitter, United States, University of Florida Taser incident
“Readers are Leaders” and “Leaders are Readers”, Anne you certainly were a leader and your parents did a wonderful job of parenting you! .Patsy McCaw-Yager article following— Written by Brian Minter.
Yesterday morning, Andrew Meyer, the operations manager for the First Book Marketplace, sent an email to the First Book staff sharing his thoughts about Anne Smedinghoff, a young foreign service officer killed in Afghanistan while bringing books to children in need.
I was touched by Andrew’s email, and asked him if I could share it on the First Book blog.
Anne Smedinghoff (Photo from washingtonpost.com)
Many of you probably heard that six Americans were killed in a suicide attack in Afghanistan this past Saturday. It seems that we have something in common with at least one of them: Anne Smedinghoff, a 25-year-old foreign service officer from Chicago. Anne was killed while delivering textbooks to children at a school.
Certainly we’re far from the chaos of Afghanistan, but I can’t help but feel a kinship with this young woman. I know as well as anyone that this business — this business of doing good — can be extremely challenging: long hours, increasing demand, lower salaries, uncertain funding sources, etc.
But never forget that we are all doing our part to increase knowledge and level the playing field. We are contributing to a movement that will have an impact centuries from now.
I’ve had a lot of time to reflect on life since my wife’s passing back in September and I know that when my time comes I hope to be comforted by the fact that I’ve done my part to make the world just a little bit better.
Please donate to above link in honor of Anne and her work!!
<!– Auto Discovery
- Young Diplomat Killed While Bringing Books to Kids (firstbook.org)
- Funeral held for diplomat killed in Afghanistan (news.yahoo.com)
- Body Of Slain Diplomat Anne Smedinghoff Returns To U.S. (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Kerry To Visit Family Of Slain US Diplomat (washington.cbslocal.com)
- State Departments Anne Smedinghoff had left Kabul for book donation event (miamiherald.com)
- Witness: Anne Smedinghoff, other Americans killed in Afghan bombing were on foot, lost (miamiherald.com)
- State Department Deaths … A New Day , A New Story … First Stevens , Now Smedinghoff (youviewed.com)
- 25-Year-Old US Diplomat Killed Delivering Schoolbooks In Afghanistan (businessinsider.com)
- Tom and Mary Beth Smedinghoff’s Statement on Daughter Anne Killed in Afghanistan (diplopundit.net)
- US diplomat killed in Afghanistan wanted to help (miamiherald.com)